As For Me And My House We Will Serve the Lord.
Joshua
24:15


Follow Our Family by Email

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

October Explorations



Back log- Maybe now with my new laptop (woohoo!!  Thanks Dad and Mom W) from Josh's family I keep up with my blog a little better-maybe ;)


Schooling
Landon and Arabella are having fun this year with our lessons.  Some weeks are more productive than others but even when we aren't doing a planned/ structured activity I try to take every  to teach.  Sometimes we are playing with our plastic animals and Landon (and now sometimes Arabella)will ask what the animal eats, where they live, or something else related to the animals so we Google it, watch a video or look it up in a book.  We also look up nature related things, physics, or whatever we happen to be playing with and I can use as a teachable moment.

Bella is getting the hang of counting.  She can count to 4 on her own, and count to 3 in spanish on her own.  She knows her colors although she is stubborn with the correct answer when most ask her.  She loves art and music.  Bella loves being read to. She is also learning her letters quite well and loves to "read."  Landon always focused on the pictures at this age but Arabella really studies the letters and runs her fingers over them, as yu would if you were reading and trying to keep your place.  I am thinking she will be reading early but we will see.

Landon loves math.  He can add fairly well with number under 10 that equal 10 or less.  He also love science.  Landon loves our science experiment.  He has also starting to really love painting.  Art in general is not his favorite.  Landon has started being able to sound out words and spell with very little guidance.  I think if he wasn't so stubborn he would be able to start reading.

We are proud of them both.  We love that they are both so into animals and nature but learning in general.



Science Fun!- Baking Soda, Vinegar and food coloring experiment


Landon and Arabella have both been really enjoying painting-canvas, paper, ceramics.  When I have time and am creative enough I try to make lunch or snacks go with our lessons for the day or week.  Below is the grape caterpillar, flower, and insect snacks I made (Landon made sure to tell me my insect was missing a set of legs since insects always have 6 legs).  I have been trying to get really creative with our lessons.   Legos, wiki sticks, and lots of science experiments.  For one of our weather lessons we did a rain cloud experiment with shaving cream, water and food coloring.  It was a big hit!

Art, Science, Food, and Fun
We took a field trip to one of the parks near our house.  The park has a play ground, a huge field and is next to a small farm.  We was an exciting trip because we found deer tracks!
Nature Walk at the Park

Landon is still enjoying his Lego class and getting some extra time with his great friend Joshua.










The Bolins and us joined our MOPS group for a fun outing at the Natural History Museum.  It is always fun at Natural History Museum and joining the ladies with their little ones in MOPS.




MOPS Natural History Museum Playdate

Halloween weekend there were about a million and one things going on in Gainesville for families and children.  We picked 3 to go too.  First stop was the Lubee Bat Festival.  Landon was so excited to run into his friend Ben and Ben's sister with their grandmother.  We walked with them for a little bit checking out the bats and the little stations the festival had set up for the kids.

Lubee Bat Festival
 Trinity United Methodist is where my MOPS group meets. Every year they have a pumpkin patch.  It didn't feel too much like fall with 80+ degree weather but we still had fun checking out the pumpkins.
Pumpkin Patch
After Halloween every year I take all the pumpkins, cut them up, puree them and cook the seeds.  I love adding fresh pumpkin to recipes- family favorite is pumpkin banana bread and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies! We all LOVE cooked pumpkin seeds too!!
I let Landon and Arabella help this year.  Landon was excited to use a real knife (under very close supervision of course) but didn't like digging in the pumpkin and getting dirty.  Arabella liked getting the seeds out though.
Pumpkins!

Halloween decorations, dress up, dirt and worm snacks

We joined the Fairows and we to the Panhellenic Goblins, Ghouls, and Greeks.  The kids had fun.  Landon and Arabella walked the whole time.  I was quite impressed how well they did.  I guess all that candy fueled them.  Josh made a yummy dinner and we had a late dinner at the Fairrows house.  The Fairrow boys have snakes and while waiting for dinner Landon was thrilled to hold one.
Trunk or Treat at UF

A happy fun visit from our great friend Chris and her little girl, Daphne



Fun out and about and at home



Our little cuddle bug

Who loves her baby dolls/stuffed animals

No comments: