As For Me And My House We Will Serve the Lord.
Joshua
24:15


Follow Our Family by Email

Monday, October 1, 2012

2012 London Olympics

BEhind on posting again.  Oh well.. Here is our Olympic festivities


We spent the whole week reading, crafting and playing with the Olympics in mind.  I have never really been hyped about the Olympics as I have been this year. I mean I would watch it sometimes and I really love watching certain sports.  It has been fun learning and counting down the days!

 Here are some of our adventures in prepping for the Olympics!

Olympic shirts.  Landon did his all by him self with my instructions. Arabella picked out what she wanted to do on  the sleeves.  The torch has been a favorite play thing of the week. 


 Torch- I saw several torches on Pinterest as I was gathering ideas.  I used some ideas I saw and added a few of my own.  I think ours looks pretty good compared to the real one this year considering it is made of almost all recycled items ( with the exception for the tinfoil and gold spray paint) and can't really be safely lite on fire.  I was excited we made it all with recycled items.  That orange stuff is from a bag the tangerines came in ;)
I used a toilet paper roll for the round part to hold.  The triangle part is a paper towel roll. After making the trinagle part we pushed one roll into the other and then taped them to We covered the whole thing with



Togas and laurel wreaths to remind us of the original Olympics.  British flag lunch to remember who is hosting this year.  I also have been using Cars 2 as a motivator since part of the movie took place in London.

The Food!

Since our small group meets on Friday and the Olympics started on Friday we had an Olympic around the world themed dinner. It was fun!  Our small group did a great job of representing Asian foods.  I think more than half of the dishes brought were Asian. I made an Olympic Ring Pizza for dessert. Everything was really yummy!

Josh and I planned several dinners that were new to us and distinctive to different places in the world.  We had Bangers n' Mash, Yorkshire Pudding, Egg rolls, Edamame, Burritos, crepes, and Stir Fri.  I tried to find traditional recipes.  It was really fun trying some new foods.  All of them were quite yummy! I think the favorite was bangers n' mash.  
Here is some of the food I remembered to take a picture of.

The Games!

We did some Olympic games as well.  I had a ton planned but as typical in our house.  Life got in the way.  We still had fun and learned a lot!  Before we played any of the sports we watched either the event or practice of the event online (Thanks Mom and Dad for giving us access to the online coverage!).  We did the discus(we made them out of paper plates), soccer, boat races, javelin(made out of straws), obstacle course races, gymnastics, relay races, and swimming.  Landon's favorite sport to watch and play was soccer.  Arabella's favorite to watch and play was gymnastics but she really liked soccer a lot too (Just like her mommy- maybe she will want to gymnastics and soccer like I did). 

No comments: